Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How should I dress when I come to your church? We encourage people to come “just as you are.” The worshippers in our church dress from “business casual” to jeans and t-shirt. All people of all races, religions and backgrounds are welcome in our church.
Q: Which entrance of the church should I use? Most frequent attenders use the east doors that face Gillis Street. The east doors enter into our educational building on the right and the Family Life Center on the left. Those who only attend worship use the west doors that face Texas Street which enter into our church sanctuary. There is a covered walkway and wheelchair ramp that faces Fifth Street which also enters into our church sanctuary. If you need assistance please call our church at 432-336-3307.
Q: When I arrive at your church, what should I expect? You will find adequate parking and you will be welcomed by friendly people who will be able to answer your questions, guide you to the class you choose to attend and seek to meet your spiritual needs. You will not be judged nor pressured to speak, read, sign cards nor join our church. You may remain our guest (non member) as long as you wish and continue to attend as often as you like. We have many guests that remain actively involved and faithfully serve more than many of our church members.
Q: Is your church kid friendly? Yes. Children of all ages are welcome in all of our worship services and Bible studies. We offer Sunday School classes for all ages. We offer nursery care for infants through four years during all worship times and for most church events.
Q: What is the mission statement of your church? Fort Stockton’s First Baptist Church exists to glorify and love our Lord Jesus Christ through worship, discipleship, ministry, evangelism and missions. Our church motto is: “Bringing others closer to Jesus…one person at a time.”
Q: What is the vision of your church? Fort Stockton’s First Baptist Church focuses our vision around four ministry strategies: WORSHIP, EQUIP, SERVE, and INFLUENCE. Below are listed some of the initiatives we undertake to make this vision a reality.
We desire to create and maintain an exceptional experience in a comfortable and intimate setting in order to further engage people in their relationship with Jesus, their worship of Jesus and their submission to Jesus.
– Expand opportunity to make disciples with our discipleship ministries.
– Encourage children and students to participate in discipleship and music ministry through age group choirs and classes.
– Celebrate the Lord’s Supper and baptisms, special events, and church fellowships to further build community among our members.
– We offer Four Core classes…
1) First Step – Introduction and orientation to FSFBC
2) Second Step (Equip) – Develop spiritual maturity
3) Third Step (Serve) – Discover your spiritual gifts, passion, and place to serve
4) Fourth Step (Influence) – Practical training in how to share Christ
We train and equip Christian volunteers to serve in several areas of our church: Evangelism, Discipleship, Ministry, Communications, Music & Worship, Children’s Ministry, Student Ministry, Adult Ministry and Community Ministry. Visit our pastor or one of our church ministers to discover more ministry opportunities.
– Lifestyle Evangelism – Mobilize our members to go to work, school, any place in our community to build bridges of relationship by meeting needs for the purpose of bringing people closer to Jesus.
– Neighborhood Blitz – Mobilize our members to go door-to-door in our neighborhoods to share Jesus and share about the ministries of our church.
– Community Outreach – We have a full leadership team in place to minister and engage with those in our community.
– First Response Ministry – We have a full leadership team in place to respond to community emergencies such as using our Family Life Center as a shelter to provide stranded motorists a warm place to stay when area highways are closed due to inclement weather; the Lord has provided many miracles to build and establish the Lila Smith Safe House in Fort Stockton to provide protection and services to the abused in Pecos County.
– Online Vimeo Broadcast – Our Vimeo broadcast ministry reaches multitudes across our country and the world on a daily basis.
– Missions – We are currently in the process of expanding our reach to send our mission teams to many nations around the world and we are excited to see what the Lord will do through this great opportunity.
Q: Is it safe to give online? Yes. In many ways giving online is safer than writing a check because an electronic gift cannot be lost or stolen. The security of the system is continually managed by Vanco Services and First Baptist Church.
Q: Are my contributions tax deductible? Yes. First Baptist Church is a qualified charitable organization and contributions made to First Baptist are tax deductible subject to certain IRS limitations.
Q: How can I give? Click on the “GIVE” tab on the home page of our website.
There are several options:
On-line giving via debit or checking account draft
Sunday mornings in the offering plates (check or cash-please include name on envelope)
Weekdays during business hours in the church office
Q: What types of bank accounts can I give from? You can give online from your checking account or debit card.
Q: Do I have to be a member of First Baptist to give online? No. You must create a login the first time you give online.
Q: How often do we receive a summary of financial giving? You will receive a quarterly giving statement during the year. You can also login to our database with your email and password (created the first time you give online or access the database) to view your financial giving records.
Q: Are recurring gifts allowed with online giving? Yes. The system allows you the option of either making a one-time contribution or setting up a recurring contribution. For a one-time contribution, you can designate that the contribution should be made immediately or, for both one time and recurring contributions, you can schedule the contributions to come out of your bank account on the date(s) specified by you.
Q: What are the options for frequency of a recurring gift? Weekly, monthly, every two weeks, twice a month or every three months.
Q: What does your church believe about Jesus and the Bible? We believe that the Bible is the inspired Word of God without error and we believe that Jesus is God and the only way to heaven. To read more about our beliefs go to: http://www.sbc.net/bfm/bfm2000.asp
Q: How can I be sure that the Bible is true? Click on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRemWMIy2IY and/or read the books More Than a Carpenter and The New Evidence That Demands a Verdict written by Dr. Josh McDowell.
Q: How can I be sure that Jesus is God and the only way to heaven? Click on http://fbc-fs.org/newfbcfs/evidence-about-jesus/
Q: How can I be sure that I will go to heaven when I die? Click on http://fbc-fs.org/newfbcfs/meet-jesus
Q: How can I find answers to my questions that are not presented here? Call our church office at 432-336-3307 to speak with our pastor or go to: http://christiananswers.net/
Frequently Asked Questions